Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Writing tips by me!

I haven't posted anything about writing for a while - that is because I have had so much work for literature I've barely had the chance to think about writing! But now is the time when I have to start putting proper effort into the writing, and I was looking through my dramatic writing folder and realised there's a lot of really good notes in there. I know this shouldn't be shocking but I never used to be able to take notes - apparently I've got a lot better! So here's a list of writing tips that I have learned so far through university - I hope you writers enjoy reading it.

In no particular order...


Consider where your idea has come from - what has inspired you to write this piece of work? Research.

How well do you know your character? Make sure you know them, particularly the protagonist, as well as you can.

Make sure you give your characters something that makes them human. E.g, what are their hobbies? Perhaps make them quirky in some way in order for them to stand out? Maybe they are vegetarian, and always have been, but adore the smell of bacon? Sometimes these small details can be the difference between a flat and a well rounded character.

Know your main characters biggest desires, and also the worst thing that could possibly ever happen to them. Your story or play should incorporate these.

Consider the level of self-characterisation. How much does your character reflect your own personality, beliefs or experiences?

Prolepsis can be discouraged but sometimes it really works. Consider it and if you think it makes your work stronger, don't be afraid to use it.

Where did you find your characters from? Are they people you know? Did you just wake up one day with them in your head? Figure this out because it can help you write them better.

Use a rubber duck. This is what our lecturer refers to as getting the audiences or readers attention. Imagine going to see a play and for the first few moments nothing happens but a rubber duck sits in a spotlight. Let the audience think "why on earth is that rubber duck there??" and then get rid of it and continue on with your play, which is in no way related to rubber ducks.

Think of the midget. This point is particularly for playwrights. Don't end your scenes if you don't have to. Try to make them flow into each other in clever ways, otherwise the midget wheeling the curtain back and forth will get tired, and trust me, you don't want a tired midget controlling your curtain.



I think that'll do for now - these are the most important for me when I write, especially the rubber duck, I just love that idea! Starting my writing off with something really random that will grab attention feels somewhat exciting! Also I am in no way trying to be harsh about midgets, this is literally the words I have written in my folder as it makes me remember what I mean a lot easier! If anyone has any questions or opinions please feel free to leave me a comment or tweet me. I'd love to hear your ideas on what's important to well written work.

1 comment:

  1. Hehe, love that duck! These are really great tips - thanks :) I read once that every character has to want something, even very minor ones.

    ReplyDelete